Sustainability Meets Hospitality
A time for action and reflection as Earth Day approaches on April 22. A responsible Tourism & Hospitality sector can promote regenerative and responsible tourism. Events are on the rise with Arabian Travel Market celebrating 30 years in May 2023; followed by The Hotel show and events for COP28 taking place.
Read below as we talk about how to run Sustainable Events.
Earth Day, April 22 – Invest in Our Planet
The hospitality industry impacts the planet significantly. Yet no other industry depends more upon the survival of pristine environments, making conservation of the environment and spreading awareness our uppermost priority. Read our blog, for an action, one can undertake as individual or as industry professional for this earth day.
Share with us what you did to make a difference this Earth Day to be featured in our next newsletter. We are always looking for stories to share.
Click here for industry-specific tips of inspiration
Sustainability in the Events Industry
As ATM approaches, we highlight the importance of
running sustainable events.
The Middle East’s most significant hospitality industry event, “Arabian Travel Mart” ATM, (1-4 May 2023), focuses on sustainability this year, welcoming speakers discussing their efforts towards achieving net zero in their respective markets.
Also featuring “sustainability” for individual exhibitor stands. We can’t wait to see who wins the “Sustainable stand award”! We look forward to seeing you at ATM this year; let us know you’re coming.
What are Net Zero Carbon Events?
Are you an organisation from the events industry? A venue, organiser, exhibitor or supplier – Consider joining the collaborative effort driving the events sector towards net zero.
The Net Zero Carbon Events initiative aims to bring together a wide range of events industry stakeholders to:
- Jointly communicate the industry’s commitment to tackling climate change
- Develop standard methodologies for measuring the industry’s direct and indirect emissions
- Construct an industry-wide roadmap towards net zero
- Foster collaboration with suppliers and customers
- Establish mechanisms for reporting progress and sharing best practice
Other Tools to Support in Hosting Sustainable Events:
- Dubai Sustainable Tourism has a checklist for a sustainable event
- You can get your events venue certified by global standards ISO 20121 Sustainable Events. https://www.iso.org/iso-20121-sustainable-events.html
- Or use the Greenview Hotel footprint tool to calculate the carbon footprint offset
Many hotel groups have already embraced the need to establish a process for sustainable events. If you need support then do reach out to us, as we can support you in establishing the standard practice and have you gain the advantage from sustainable events.
Can ESG Support Future Proofing Your Hotel?
All aspects of sustainability to design, build, and operate are becoming more relevant; and are proven again by the Investor survey conducted by JLL and EEA (Energy Environment Alliance).
- 55 % of respondents would expect to pay a premium for a hotel on the NZC50 pathway. (Net Zero Carbon Emissions by 2050).
- Investors are looking for more than certifications such as BREEAM and LEED.
- Investors want to see more meaningful action, ensuring that net zero trajectories and targets are on track.
Calling all asset managers to read our article on insights into the survey, and if you are missing out on staying relevant from ESG.
A hearty congratulations to Atlantis The Palm and Jumeirah Al Naseem for making it onto the Forbes Travel Guide’s 12 Eco-Friendly Luxury Hotels list 2023.
Catch up on our latest Sustainability Stories Podcast
With Christopher Warren, talking about
“How to get guests to participate in green hospitality”