Earth Day – Saturday, 22 April 2023
This year’s theme – “Invest in Our Planet,” focuses on engaging governments, institutions, businesses, and the more than 1 billion citizens who participate annually in Earth Day to do their part – everyone accounted for, everyone accountable.
From Humble Beginnings
What started in the 1970s as a reaction to the unchecked environmental destruction caused by the impact of post-war consumerism, Americans marched in protest for the earth’s cause. Twenty years later, in 1990, the cause went global, with over 141 counties taking part to spread environmental awareness. Now a global movement with over 1 Billion people participating annually, Earth day is one of the biggest days advocating environmental awareness and protection.
Why is Earth Day Important?
We know the hospitality industry impacts the planet significantly. The demand for energy, water, and food and the amount of waste the industry creates is significant. Yet no other industry depends more upon the survival of pristine environments, making conservation of the environment and spreading awareness our uppermost priority.
How can you get involved?
Head to earthday.org, download the toolkit, register and see how you can participate in this year’s earth day events.
Here are 15 of our top picks for Earth Day 23 that are worth trying!
- Buy local.
- Calculate your footprint.
- Form a sustainability committee.
- Host a community cleanup.
- Host training regarding sustainability
- Implement climate-friendly menus.
- Participate in advocacy.
- Participate or host a cleanup.
- Plant trees
- Reduce disposables in your operation.
- Reduce plastic consumption.
- Sponsor or find an event in your area.
- Support local farms and ingredients.
- Support organic ingredients.
- Take a pledge to reduce food waste.
Take the opportunity this Earth Day to make meaningful decisions within your organization.
- Conduct a sustainability audit and see what your operations can do.
- Commit to sustainability; implement technology that helps you with water, energy efficiencies, reduce your food waste and assists with effectively eliminating that waste.
- Understanding your carbon footprint is a must. Hotel Carbon Measurement Initiative tool (HCMI) from Sustainable Hospitality Alliance (SHA) or the Dubai Tourism Carbon Measurement Tool for carbon is useful to get a head-start on carbon measurement.
The Planet Pathway from SHA, enables hotels to take a strategic approach to improve their environmental impact providing practical advice and simple steps on the road to becoming net positive.
Take meaningful action this earth day and begin making a long-lasting impact.
What are you going to do?
Share with us what you are doing (did) for Earth Day; we would love to hear from you.